Summer in UAE may be slightly different this year when many families aren’t travelling home to cooler weather. Thinking of activity ideas for kids inside your home can really stretch your imagination to the limits, so here are a few things that might help to keep everyone entertained in the hot days ahead. If you are working and need a babysitter, we have some wonderful nurses who will keep your kids entertained.
Activity ideas for kids:
- Finger paints, and making hand and potato prints using brightly coloured card or paper.
- Make your own slushies – guaranteed to be less sugary than bought ones!
- Make memory books with pictures and photos. Baby books will intrigue children when they see the mementos you’ve kept from their early months.
- Use moulding clay to create various shapes and trinkets. Some types of clay harden and dry in the air, whereas others may need oven baking.
- Playing cards, UNO and Old Maid and Go Fish.
- Create a ‘lucky dip’ by putting rice in a big tub and hiding small gifts to retrieve.
- Grocery let’s pretend – bring out packets and small tins from the cupboard to play shop.
- Make hand puppets from old socks and put on a puppet show in an improvised handmade puppet theatre.
- Making friendship bracelets.
- Have fun with balloon art.
- Make your own ice cream and ice pops with healthy ingredients.
- Set up an indoor obstacle course.
- Make a camp with a clothes horse and a sheet.
- Have some pamper time with a face mask (the cosmetic, child-safe variety) and do at-home mani/pedis.
- Try a children’s meditation app for some quiet time.
- Make a display or decorate a box with shells from the beach.
- Freeze coloured water for ice cube painting. Adding tonic water might even make the paint glow!
- Bubble blowing with a giant bubble maker. You can make your own bubble solution.
- Create a herb garden or a bug hotel if you have some outdoor space undercover.
- Cook treats like brownies and little buns. Packet mixes are a bonus.
- Host a dolls’ and teddies’ tea party.
- Enjoy an indoor picnic on a rug.
- Bring out the dressing up clothes.
- Watch old family DVDs that haven’t been seen for a while.
- Tye-dying plain white t-shirts is a great creative option for older children.
DIY play items for kids at home:
PLAY DOUGH RECIPE
2 cups flour, ¾ cup salt ,4 teaspoons of cream of tartar, 2 cups lukewarm water,2 tablespoons vegetable oil, food colouring, plus vanilla essence for added fragrance. Large tubs or plastic bags for storing. Mix together on a low heat and form a firm dough (this is not dangerous if accidentally eaten!)
8 ounce bottle of white school glue, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, food colouring,1 ½-2 tablespoons of contact lens solution that contains borax (not to be ingested). For extra fluffiness add shaving foam. Sealed tubs needed for storing. The stretching and moulding of the slime are irresistible for little fingers.
Orange juice and lemonade with grenadine fruit syrup, orange slices and sparkles and sticks.
This might even be a good time to start potty training or perfecting naptimes while you’re spending more time at home.